Voyageur Specs & Prices > Features of
Features of Voyageur Canoes
All Voyageur canoes are crafted with care and precision. We are particularly
proud of the following special features, some of which can only be found on
Seats and Attachment Brackets
- We use a unique interlocking assembly method that makes our wide-webbed
nylon seats (woven over white ash frames) firm and comfortable.
- The front seat is wider than those found in other canoes, so the bow
paddler can sit closer to the gunwale for easier paddling and comfort.
- In most models the seats are attached to specially molded Kevlar-glass
seat brackets which are bonded to the sides of the hull. This stops them
from shifting and also adds structural integrity to the hull.
- Cane, hand-woven or pressed, and rawhide seats are also available as
- All of our deluxe canoes are finished with wood trim which has been
treated with clear, high-gloss varnish.
- This coating preserves the wood's natural beauty, is durable and
withstands abrasion but, as with all finishes, it is adversely affected by
wear and should be touched up periodically if the canoe is stored outside.
- The fibreglass canoes under 17' are trimmed with one piece gunwales in
solid oak. In the longer models two-piece gunwales are used which
incorporate drain slots on the inwales.
- The FAKX and Kevlar-epoxy canoes are outfitted with two-piece gunwales.
We select clear straight-grained, lightweight woods. The inwales are made
from Sitka Spruce and the outwales are White Ash.
- Our Wood-canvas canoes are gunwaled in ash and oak.
- Our standard line of canoes over 20 ft long have integrated
zero-maintenance, fibreglass gunwales.
to see samples on the North Country canoes
- White ash and Cherry are used for the thwart.
- Normally, one thwart is installed at the centre balance point on two-man
canoes, but extra thwarts can be ordered and their placement specified.
- (Also see our removable thwart/yoke bracket under Accessories and
- Attractive cherry decks, bow and stern, are smoothly rounded and
contoured on the underside to make lifting more comfortable.
- It's a small but much appreciated feature rarely found in other canoes.
- Buffer eyes, for attaching lines to the bow and stern, are securely
bolted to the decks.
- These specially designed cast aluminum pieces are attached with
stainless steel fasteners and also protect the ends of the canoe when it is
- Voyageur's synthetic canoes have closed-cell, preformed, foam-filled
floatation tanks bow and stern.
- A small opening is provided under the deck in the cover to allow for
natural expansion and contraction caused by seasonal temperature changes.
- This also allow for air circulation and drainage when the canoe is
stored upside down.
- Stainless steel and nylon fasteners are used to attach gunwales, decks
and seats on all models except the Standard Construction.
- These canoes the gunwales are attached using aluminum rivets.
ACCESSORIES AND OPTIONAL EXTRAS
- All Voyageur canoes up to 19' long (except the 12' Trapper) come with
one centre- balanced thwart.
- Some canoeists like to have an extra thwart, either behind or in front
of the centre position.
- Please specify length or location and method of attachment--permanent or
REMOVABLE THWART/YOKE BRACKET
- Removable thwart/yoke brackets are securely fastened to the canoe hull
with stainless steel fasteners and the thwart or yoke is attached with a
quick-release brass pin and shock cord.
- These aluminum brackets can be fitted to most canoes with minor
modifications and allow the thwart or yoke to be removed in seconds.
- Hardwood Yokes --
- Our hardwood yokes offer an economical alternative to the thwart.
- The extra surface area of the yoke makes it safer and easier to use
as the weight of the canoe is distributed over a wider area
- Padded Yokes --
- These padded yokes are designed for comfort and flexibility.
- The two cushioned neoprene pads are supported on a curved hardwood
thwart and can be easily adjusted for other paddlers comfort or removed
when not in use.
- Hand-carved Yokes --
- These yokes are hand-carved from lightweight, straight-grained Sitka
Spruce from British Columbia.
- They are the lightest, most practical yokes available and they
provide the ultimate in carrying comfort.
- These yokes are individually made and can be custom shaped to fit